Friday, August 27, 2010

Assume Nothing

I just laughed a little to myself when I let a man in to use the restroom today. I had watched him hobble across the parking lot and assumed he had been holding it so long that he was in pain.

I don't know why I always forget what I am told over and over again: don't assume anything.

Expecting him to waltz out of the bathroom a new man, I was concerned when he was still hobbling with a pained expression on his face. We questioned if he had a health problem, and he lifted his shirt to show us his two-day-old surgery scars with a bag. Again I am never supposed to assume anything, but I'm assuming it is colon cancer.

I do not know where he came from but he was seeking a shelter for the night and planned on walking there when I told him we had no more bus passes for the month. The shelter was 2.5 miles away.

We were able to give him a ride there, but I cannot help but wonder how far he had walked in the August heat after having a significant surgery to stumble across our church.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment